Monday 15th June
Hope you all had a lovely weekend. I recently replanted my small tomato plant seedlings into larger pots and there had been nothing but rain – tomatoes like the sunshine! Fortunately the sun seems to be shining again and all is well. I’m looking forward to these growing lots in the next few weeks.
Today marks the first day when many of you are returning to school. Don’t worry if you’re not one of these children we are still here for you and will continue to provide lots of learning activities to complete at home. I met with Miss Barrett, Mr Day and Mr Smith on Friday and we are planning some transition style activities to help prepare you for high school. It is still very uncertain whether you will get the chance to make an actual visit to your new school but I know high schools are doing everything they can to make contact with you at some point this term. I have spent most of last week talking to your high schools about you and they are really looking forward to seeing you in the new term.
Hopefully you have all managed to collect the home learning pack with booklets and two more exercise books from school either last Tuesday or the previous Wednesday. If you haven’t managed to collect these then your parent will need to make contact with the school office to arrange a time for this.
Today’s theme for Monday is: ‘Magic Potion Monday’.
Draw a picture of a magic potion. Think about what your potion would be used for – which spell it would cast! What ingredients will you put in it and what would happen to the person who drank it?
For our outdoor nature activities for the next few weeks, continue with the Wildlife Trust’s ‘Random Acts of Wildness’. Don’t worry if you haven’t signed up, I have made a list of some of their ideas and I have included this in our resources section – please have a look and select some examples to complete.
Remember to continue with your Volcanoes and Earthquakes projects – if you haven’t started this then look in our resources section for further information.
Please don’t forget to keep in touch with us regularly, it is so lovely to hear about what you’re up to and how you’re getting on with your learning – keep it up! Don’t forget if you have been doing other things such as trying a new hobby, learning a new skill, we would love to hear about these things too.
Have a good day!
Mrs Ashby and Miss Barrett
Monday's Learning tasks:
> Start your day with an Active Start. There are lots of options for you:
- Weekly challenge from Pav
- Norfolk School Games ‘Challenge 6 – netball’
- Joe Wicks – daily PE on Youtube
- Go Noodle also available on Youtube
- Or create your own PE session – for example, an obstacle course in the garden or lead a keep fit session with your family to your favourite tunes
Further information can be found in our 'Resources and Web Links' section
> Read your book for 20 minutes. Or you could read a book from Bug Club.
> Complete a maths quiz on diagnostic questions.
> Maths: This week we are revising our fraction knowledge. Today we will focus on finding equivalent fractions and also look at how we simplify fractions into their simplest form.
- 1st Task: Open the document called ‘Equivalent and simplifying fraction revision’. Read through the information and answer the questions.
- 2nd Task: There are also 3 different levelled activity sheets (Mild, Medium, Hot) with questions for you to answer on simplifying fractions. Answers are also provided for you to self-mark.
> Further Maths to have a go at! Visit the White Rose website ‘Summer Term Week 8 (w/c 15th June) and complete Lesson 1 ‘Solve 2 step equations’. Remember, if you are finding these too tricky you could look at a lower year group or if you need a greater challenge look at a higher year group instead. We do not have a subscription to the worksheets so this activity is just watching and discussing the video.
> Complete the word of the day activities - see below.
> Visit Active learn website and select a maths and a SPAG activity to complete.
> Writing challenge for the week: For details of our writing task this week click on the resource in our Resources and Web Links.
> Continue or start your learning theme project – spend some time on this today.
> Practise some of the songs from ‘The Virtual Big Sing’ details for this were sent out last week.
> Learning theme:
VOLCANOES AND EARTHQUAKES
Open the document ‘Earthquake Information Presentation’ and read through the information. Then complete the following activities:
- How do the plates move? Draw diagrams to help explain this.
- What is the advice given during an earthquake?
- Write/draw a list of what you would need in your emergency bag/case?
- What do you need to remember after an earthquake?
Open the document called ‘Earthquake cross section’.
- Draw the cross section of an earthquake and label the different parts.
> Remember to build in some quiet time, creative time and outdoor time! Why not try the nature activity or a lego challenge? There is a list of nature activities for you to do. If you fancy some cooking, there are also great easy to follow recipes on Willow class page that you may want to try.
Have a good day!
Mrs Ashby and Miss Barrett
Word of the day
- What is the definition of prejudice?
- Synonyms – (words that have a similar meaning)
- Write a statement, question and a command using the WOD.
- How could you use this word in a history themed sentence? Write an example.
- Make a list of 10 other words that begin with ‘pre’.
- Rainbow writing of the WOD – for example, you could use different colours for each letter or write the word in bubble writing and give it a rainbow patterns within each shape
- Create either an acrostic poem or rap using the letters from the WOD. Think carefully about the meaning of the word and how you could incorporate this into your poem.
You will need a dictionary and a thesaurus for these activities, if you don’t have these use an online dictionary or thesaurus.