Monday 18th May
Hope you all had a good weekend, the weather was absolutely lovely on Sunday. What fun things did you get up to? A big well done to Amy-Rose who was one of the VE Day Baking Competition winners. Thank you also to Nathan who also submitted an entry. Certificates will be emailed to you soon.
Today’s theme for Monday is: ‘Mathematical Monday’.
Maths is everywhere! Talk to your family about how they use maths in their daily lives. Explore your home and garden for evidence of maths in your environment (shapes, numbers, patterns, measures etc). Make a list of 10 different jobs that use maths.
For our outdoor nature activity this week, you are going to be cartographers. We have given you a mapping task, there are two different activities to have a go at. A cartographer is someone who makes maps. See if you have any maps or atlases at home. Look at them carefully, what symbols or scales are used. Look for other features that are drawn on the maps.
Norfolk School Games have produced weekly virtual challenges for you to try. Week 3 is angling – don’t worry you don’t need to visit a river! Link in Resources section. They are keen to have children sending pictures or videos these need to be sent via social media @norfolkschoolgames (twitter - @norfolkschgames ) or email it to us firstname.lastname@example.org. They are looking for the school with the most entries who will be celebrated in June.
Thank you to all of you who are keeping in touch with us regularly, it is so lovely to hear about what you’re up to and how you’re getting on with your learning – keep it up! Don’t forget if you have been doing other things such as trying a new hobby, learning a new skill, we would love to hear about these things too.
Have a good day!
Mrs Ashby and Miss Barrett
Monday's Learning tasks:
>Start your day with an Active Start. There are lots of options for you:
- Weekly challenge from Pav
- Norfolk School Games ‘Week 3’
- Joe Wicks – daily PE on Youtube
- Go Noodle also available on Youtube
- Or create your own PE session – for example, an obstacle course in the garden or lead a keep fit session with your family to your favourite tunes
Further information can be found in our 'Resources and Web Links' section
> Read your book for 20 minutes. Or you could read a book from Bug Club.
> Complete a maths quiz on diagnostic questions.
> Maths: This week we are looking at ‘Algebra’. Open the document ‘Monday Introduction to algebra and questions’ in the Resources and Web Links section. Read through the information and answer the questions that are given on the different slides. Answers for these will be posted on the website on Tuesday.
> Further Maths to have a go at! Visit the White Rose website ‘Summer Term Week 5 (w/c 18th May) and complete Lesson 1 ‘Multiply and Divide y 10, 100 and 1000’. This will be a good refresher for you and it’s great for your place value understanding. Remember, if you are finding these too tricky you could look at a lower year group or if you need a greater challenge look at a higher year group instead. We do not have a subscription to the worksheets so this activity is just watching and discussing the video.
> Complete the word of the day activities - see below.
> Visit Active learn website and select a maths and a SPAG activity to complete.
> Writing challenge for the week: For details of our writing task this week click on the resource in our Resources and Web Links. Your challenge for this week will be using a photograph to help inspire some newspaper report writing.
> Our Learning theme for the summer term is:
VOLCANOES AND EARTHQUAKES
Read through the ‘Presentation – Ring of Fire’ found in our Resources and Web Links section.
- Using the information and maps to help you from the presentation, write a descriptive paragraph about ‘The Ring of Fire’. Make sure you include: reference to some of the places where this can be found and why it is called the Ring of Fire. You might want to also include a labelled drawing of where this is.
- Research the names of some of the volcanoes that exist in this area
- Select one of the volcanoes you have found in the ‘Ring of Fire’ and research facts such as:
- Location – country and area within that country
- Is it an active or a dormant volcano?
- When it last erupted? Effects of the eruption
> Online Safety Lesson – open the subpage on out main class page – Keeping Safe Online. Click on the top link which will take you to the thinkuknow website, scroll down then select ‘Click here for home activity packs aged 8-10’, you will see a list of 4 activity packs - complete one of these. Try and do one each week if you haven’t attempted these yet.
> Remember to build in some quiet time, creative time and outdoor time! Why not try the nature activity or a lego challenge? If you fancy some cooking, there are also great easy to follow recipes on Willow class page that you may want to try.
Have a good day!
Mrs Ashby and Miss Barrett
Word of the day
- What is the definition of anxious?
- Synonyms – (words that have a similar meaning)
- Write 2 questions using the WOD.
- Research activity: What other words can you think of or find that end in ious? Make a list and underline the ‘ious’ part in each word that you find. Eg, gracious. How many words can you find with ious?
- Write the letters from the WOD in a vertical list (see below) and see how many animals you can think of beginning with each letter.
A - anteater
You will need a dictionary and a thesaurus for these activities, if you don’t have these use an online dictionary or thesaurus.